12 August 2014

Steps in the Dark

"You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you." 
Harold B. Lee
I'm the kind of person who likes to always know where they're going, what they're doing, and what's going to happen next. That's what brings me comfort. But, that's a lack of faith on my part. I constantly pray to Heavenly Father and ask Him about what His plan is for me. My prayer usually sounds something like "Heavenly Father, I want to know what the plan is. Please tell me, I just need to know and I'm not very good at not knowing." What a total lack of faith on my part! Sometimes, we have to take those few steps in the darkness to have the light appear.
Coming out on my mission was definitely a few steps in the dark, but once I made the decision to serve the Lord lighted my way. Now I'm in Vancouver on my mission and suddenly I feel like I'm facing a dark path. But wait, I already took a few steps in the dark. I already had faith.
Faith is an everyday thing. It's not something we do once or every so often. It's something we need to have every day. Is it hard? You bet. Is it worth it? Completely. Each day we have to take those few steps in the dark. When we do, our loving Heavenly Father will light the pathway before us. It is by taking these few steps in the dark that we are able to grow and use our ability to choose. It is after the trial of our faith that the blessings will come (Ether 12:6).
This week I'm going to try my best to take those steps in the dark and allow the Lord to light my way, not tell Him what I think the way should be. I know that as I exercise my faith in Him, He will help me to see the way I need to go.
"Ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." Ether 12:6

No comments:

Post a Comment