24 June 2014

Comfort from the Scriptures

Sometimes I just need comfort. I need to read a scripture that applies to me and makes me feel better. I need to allow God to speak to me through His word. So, here's a list of some of my favorite scriptures found in the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants. God wants to speak to us, and one way He does so is through His word.

Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success. Alma 26:27 (Book of Mormon)

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13 (New Testament)

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 15:58 (New Testament)

And now, behold, whosoever is of my church, and endureth of my church to the end, him will I establish upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them. Doctrine and Covenants 10:69

Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. Doctrine and Covenants 6:34

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 (New Testament)

Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. Alma 32:21 (Book of Mormon)

And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you to bear you up. Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27 (Book of Mormon)

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and learn not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 (Old Testament)

Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. 2 Nephi 2:11 (Book of Mormon)

Countless times the scriptures have brought me comfort and hope during my trials and difficult times. I know that they are true, that they are words written by prophets of God. His gospel is real, He is real. He lives, and I'm so grateful for that knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment