15 February 2014

To Serve Another

As I'm sure y'all are well aware, this past Friday was Valentine's Day. This is a dedicated day to show our love for others as well as for our loved ones. Though I like the idea of sharing our love with others, I don't like the idea that it's only limited to one day. We should be sharing the love we have for others every day, in big or small ways. Although chocolates are nice, serving others shows just as much love.
Out here on my mission I get a lot of opportunities to serve others. We are constantly looking for those who need help and serving the people in the ward and community. I absolutely love it. I get to put my personal needs aside to help uplift others; there's no greater feeling. Just imagine how much happier and brighter the world would be if we would just set aside our needs for the needs of others. Not only would this help to make the world a better place, but it can help us to bring more happiness in our own lives. In the book of Mosiah from the Book of Mormon there's a scripture that reads:
"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow being ye are only in the service of your God." Mosiah 2:17
When we put ourselves to the side and forget ourselves in work for others, we can gain a confidence and a happiness that becomes contagious. People will see the light in your eyes as you walk out on the street. As we serve others Heavenly Father can inspire us to become the answers to someone's prayers. He knows us all perfectly and knows what we need. Don't cheat yourself the joy of sharing in the happiness of another through service. Just one small service act a day can help bring more light and happiness into the world, and eliminate the selfish and cruel. I'm going to end my little post on service with a lovely quote from the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. May your days be wonderful and full of service. I promise you that as you go out there and serve others you will gain so much more joy in your life.
"He who lives only unto himself withers and dies, while he who forgets himself in the service of others grows and blossoms in this life and in eternity." Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment